Fajitas

My fajita recipe has evolved over the years, currently at its simplest version. I don't even know what authentic fajitas are really supposed to be like anymore, but I'm going to call this recipe "fajitas" anyway. I don't bother marinating the meat for fajitas because my life is too busy. Leftover fajita filling makes a great breakfast when cooked in a cast-iron skillet with scrambled eggs. Fajitas should be a recipe that people customize to make their own best version, so feel free to customize it with your own secret ingredients!

Meat version - Use beef or chicken strips
Vegetarian version - Use black beans or Quorn Chik'n Tenders (found in freezer section)
Breakfast version - Mix in fajita leftover filling with scrambled eggs

1) Fry in hot oil in a skillet or wok (I prefer cast iron):
    >Beef steak strips or chicken breast strips or grilled chicken thigh pieces or Quorn Chik'n Tenders
    >Red and green bell pepper strips
    >Sliced onion
    >Minced garlic

2) When the meat and vegetables are cooked all the way through, add seasonings and beans, and then heat through:
    >Canned black beans (optional) - rinsed and drained
    >Lime juice, from fresh-squeezed limes**
    >Chipotle chile powder*
    >Chopped fresh cilantro**
    >Salt, as needed
(*Alternatively, use "fajita seasoning," or any type of Mexican seasoning or chile powder; but I like the chipotle powder best)
(**Limes and cilantro can be served on the side as a garnish instead of being cooked in the pan with the other ingredients.)

3) Serve with flour or corn tortillas and Mexican condiments.

An even EASIER version:
Buy at the grocery store: pre-packaged fajita-seasoned vegetables and pre-packaged fajita-seasoned meat. Fry everything together in a skillet. These are usually found in the meat and produce departments.

Fajitas are ready to be served up. These were made with chicken breasts. Limes and cilantro were served on the side. I don't normally use sour cream with my fajitas, but I needed to use some up from my fridge, and the sour cream tasted good on the fajitas.



Plate is served up. Fajita mix was topped with cilantro and some squirts of lime juice. Tortillas can be stuffed like a sandwich/taco. I like to tear off bite-sized pieces of tortilla and grab a biteful of fajita filling in each individual bite.